Drive By IWC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Japan Pro Wrestling

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Japan Pro Wrestling Empty New Japan Pro Wrestling

Post by The Rainmaker Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:25 pm

New Japan Pro Wrestling NJPW+Logo

This place definitely needs a thread for the greatest professional wrestling organisation in the world, New Japan Pro Wrestling.

New Japan is currently in the midst of a run of shows, that has been outstripping everything else out there for the last two years. Wrestle Kingdom 8 and The New Beginning have been and gone and I for one am looking forward to another outstanding year of shows and the best wrestling on the planet.

So drop all your thoughts, feelings, reviews, videos and general ramblings here for all things NJPW.

It's going to be good.

Last edited by The Rainmaker on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

New Japan Pro Wrestling Empty Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling

Post by The Rainmaker Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:43 pm

So let us get this party started by posting the most recent PPV, The New Beginning. This is the Osaka show

The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Last two parts:

The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Do you know if Prince Devitt has made a decision yet?

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Rilla wrote:Do you know if Prince Devitt has made a decision yet?

Still up in the air I think, the offer has been made but he's still weighing up his position. The story has gone quiet in the last few days.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Last I remember, was they were offering him a spot - a short stint in Developmental - and probably loads of cash. If that is any indication, I reckon they plan on using him well. It's rare they offer a short stay(Last time was Sin Cara, who completely bypassed it, so I know they had big plans).

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Rilla wrote:Last I remember, was they were offering him a spot - a short stint in Developmental - and probably loads of cash. If that is any indication, I reckon they plan on using him well. It's rare they offer a short stay(Last time was Sin Cara, who completely bypassed it, so I know they had big plans).

I think they realise he's polished enough in the ring, coupled with the fact he can help draw in some of that Japanese audience along with English naturally being his first language, he is a good prospect for them and a win/win situation for them also. It's possibly just a little apprehension on his part on how they'll use him, with WWE's track record and his position with in NJPW.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 pm

That's understandable, WWE could use folks better - but he could make a lot of money. They apparently offered Tensei 4 times what he was making in Japan, to come back and look where he is now. xD

I hope he goes over, even if he doesn't do too hot, he can go back and probably be a bigger star.

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Rilla wrote:That's understandable, WWE could use folks better - but he could make a lot of money. They apparently offered Tensei 4 times what he was making in Japan, to come back and look where he is now. xD

I hope he goes over, even if he doesn't do too hot, he can go back and probably be a bigger star.

Yup he could make some serious Dollar but the Tensai 'effect' must be in the back of his mind.

I think they would use him right for a change and I think he could do decent business for them and himself. I'd be invested in him there straight away.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:35 pm

It could be, but Tensei was also older, and WWE knows they have to head towards the future. If he signs, I could see him at WM 31, WWE's official kick off to the Younger Generation.

Shield
Wyatts
Prince Devitt
Bryan
Big E.

Couple of current NXT guys(I'm hoping for Kalisto, and Crowe)

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Rilla wrote:It could be, but Tensei was also older, and WWE knows they have to head towards the future. If he signs, I could see him at WM 31, WWE's official kick off to the Younger Generation.

Shield
Wyatts
Prince Devitt
Bryan
Big E.

Yeah I see Mania 31 more as a reset WM. I think Kalisto could be huge for them, a proper replacement for Rey.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by KashDinero Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Rilla wrote:It could be, but Tensei was also older, and WWE knows they have to head towards the future. If he signs, I could see him at WM 31, WWE's official kick off to the Younger Generation.

Shield
Wyatts
Prince Devitt
Bryan
Big E.

You forgot Neville. Easily the most talented performer they have in NXT, and top five in the whole company. Dude is freaking amazing.

Watching Kalisto/Samuray over the last year in PWG has been a fantastic experience. The guy is destined to make millions of dollars for WWE and himself.

Devitt would be in good company should he actually decide to join the BigUS1.
KashDinero
KashDinero
General Manager
General Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:36 pm

KashDinero wrote:

Shield
Wyatts
Prince Devitt
Bryan
Big E.

You forgot Neville. Easily the most talented performer they have in NXT, and top five in the whole company. Dude is freaking amazing.

Watching Kalisto/Samuray over the last year in PWG has been a fantastic experience. The guy is destined to make millions of dollars for WWE and himself.

Devitt would be in good company should he actually decide to join the BigUS1.

Oi yes, Neville and Sami should do really well. Sami moreso, due to his in-ring ability and his surprising mic skills.

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by KashDinero Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Who are your favourite NJPW stars?

Here's mine.

1) Tenzan & Kojima (AKA Tenko). Always will be one of my favourite tag teams. I've loved these guys since 2000 and no other team has surpassed them in how I feel about them *gushes*. They may both be past their best before dates, but they're still cool as fuck in my book.

2) Jushin "Thunder" Lyger. Amazing. That he's still going -albeit at a under-card level- is astonishing. Well, to those that don't really know him or have followed his career for as long as I have it is anyway. Those that know the lengths he went to modify his style to eliminate the risks he used to take can sit back and be glad he did so. At one point he was the most exciting wrestler in the world--these days he's just a cool looking masked wrestler with an awesome theme song with a ring style based in psychology second to very very few.

3) Kazuchika Okada. Who knew Samoa Joe's "Kato" was so adept at wrestling such an exciting main event style? Not me. It's been an absolute joy to watch his matches over the last two years. The way he returned and was instantly made out to be a big deal was superb booking, and reignited the NJPW main event scene, which was going through some tough times to be honest, and gave Hiroshi Tanahashi his greatest opponent ever IMO. 

Long live The Rain-F'N-Maker.

4) Tetsuya Naito: Another guy who NJPW sent to TNA to get that American seasoning that all the great IWGP Heavyweight contenders generally seem to require. After his match with Okada back in Febuary 2012 I became a huge fan of the guy. His time off due to injury for the late part of 2012 and early part of 2013 was unfortunate timing, but I was glad NJPW stuck with their plans for him to win the 2013 G1Climax tour. Shame he never won the big one at WK8, but as that match received less fan fare than Tanahashi vs Nakamura, it was probably for the best that he never lifted the belt. Hopefully he'll get another shot at WK9 in the main event and take the title that was cruelly denied of him this year.

5) Kota Ibushi: Fuck this guy is awesome. Wonder how long he'll be kept in the junior heavyweight division before he's called up to take on the heavyweights? Once he does, I'm pretty sure he'll be a lock for the big one. 

6) Shinsuke Nakamura: This guy was scary good when I first saw him. All these years later he's evolved into one of the greatest all rounders ever. Love that swagger, love that strong style, and judging by the fan nominated main event spot he was in at WK8, I'm not the only one.

7) Katsuyori Shibata: Back when he was a young boy in the opening contests for almost every card he was on it was clear that he was destined for greatness. After years of pulling double duty as a pro wrestler and an MMA fighter he's become one of the most believable grapplers in the game. Thankfully he appears to have put his MMA aspirations aside and is now solely focused on becoming the best wrestler he can be. Seeing as he's so freaking good at the moment, one can only imagine how good he's going to become as time progresses. Future IWGP Heavyweight Champion? I'd put money on it, although, as evidenced by this list, he's got some stiff competition.

Speaking of of...

Cool Hirooki Goto: After a few years of being a guy who NJPW pushed as being a guy who always came up short when placed in the big title matches, it appears he is finally ready to finally smash through the top level glass ceiling. If Naito doesn't pull a repeat win at this years G1, this is the guy who will win it. From his size and overall appearance to his super strong in-ring style, I'd say he was perfect for the top dog spot.

9) Prince Devitt: The main reason why NJPW's junior heavyweight division has remained so hot over the past few years. Only Benoit and The Dynamite Kid have been as successful as he has been as a smaller sized Gaijin in NJPW, which speaks volumes in itself. Do I think he should stay in Japan in the hopes that he will one day become the IWGP Heavyweight Champion?

No.

A run in WWE would do wonders for his career, and his eventual return, where he'd have a much better chance of achieving that dream. As it is right now, I'd say there were a few who are in front of him before he would ever be considered for that spot.

10) Minoru Suzuki: Question. How fucking hard does this guy look?

Answer. Very.

Not only that, but he's evolved his game to the point where he fits into just about any position on any card he's on with ease. Although I miss his days when he teamed with Yoshihiro Takayama, I'm just glad to see him in such a prominent role in today's NJPW. Doubtful he'll ever win the big one, but I guarantee he'll be someone who is booked as a threat to whoever the champ is for quite some time. Also worth pointing out is how he always kicks the young boy who holds open the ropes for him when he enters the ring. That always gives me a chuckle, proving that he's not all about just kicking arse--he's also rather adept at a little comedy as well.

Honourable mentions..

Hiroshi Tanahashi: THE top dog in NJPW without question. Easily the best at working a main event in the business. Better than everybody one above list, but, for me there's just something about him that I just don't really like. Perhaps it's the pretty boy image. Either way, mucho respect goes out to him and the way he elevates everyone around him without diminishing his own top dog status. Arguably the best ever in NJPW due to his years of putting on one great match after the next. Honestly, I've never seen a match where he phones it in, which can't be said for his predecessors like Muto, Hashimoto and Chono.

Masato Tanaka: How the hell is this guy still wrestling after the years of abuse he put his body through in FMW and ECW? Whatever his secret is, he looks great for a guy who should by rights be in a wheelchair with no brain cells left in his head.

Tomohiro Ishii: Where the fuck did this guy come from?! The dude had one of the best breakout years in history in 2013, and is surely a future IWGP Heavyweight Champion.

Yuji Nagata: Still got it. One of the best ever. Freaking love this guy. Anyone who's not seen his matches over the last fourteen years needs to do so ASAP.

Time Splitters: Wrestle Kingdom 8 entrance. Nuff said.

Togi Makabe: Something about this guy I just like. Mid-Carder for life, but definitely gives his all in every match.  If I had a wrestling promotion, this guy would definitely be on my roster no doubt.

And there you have it. Looking at the NJPW roster, I was definitely spoilt for choice. Hell, I didn't even mention the current IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Champs The Young Bucks, but, then again, I consider them more journeymen just currently passing through than actual NJPW mainstays. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's list (all two of you lol)
KashDinero
KashDinero
General Manager
General Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Takahashi aka the Toyko Pimp man. Hahaha. If only because of Toyko Pimps.

Okada and Tanahashi, for their string of matches for the IWGP Championship. Those were outstanding! 

And Yuji Nagata. Who the fuck doesn't like watching this guy smack the fire out of people?

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:57 pm

My top three currently would have to be 

Kazuchika Okada (unsurprisingly Very Happy) - The main oozes personality and style. He has great in ring work and most of all his Rainmaker finisher is a thing of beauty

Hirooki Goto - I just love his look and ring style

Katsuyori Shibata - His body of work, especially his epic series with Goto have made him a real stand out for me.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Looks like NJPW and ROH will be having talent exchanges here soon. Very Happy

Okada, Tanahashi, Ibushi, Nakamura, Liger, Gedo, and Jado, all headed to ROH

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Rilla wrote:Looks like NJPW and ROH will be having talent exchanges here soon. Very Happy

Okada, Tanahashi, Ibushi, Nakamura, Liger, Gedo, and Jado, all headed to ROH

Yeah I've just read this. Should be good.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:08 pm

WWE needs to work out a deal with NOAH, and all three top American promotions can be working with Japan.

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Rilla wrote:WWE needs to work out a deal with NOAH, and all three top American promotions can be working with Japan.

That would be great but I don't think they would ever do that again, well at least while Vince is still around, it may happen down the line when Trips & Steph take over.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by ThatDennisGuy Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Just watched Okada vs Devitt... Pretty enjoyable match. Smile

ThatDennisGuy
NXT
NXT

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:23 pm

ThatDennisGuy wrote:Just watched Okada vs Devitt... Pretty enjoyable match. Smile

It was a good match. So many great matches to choose from recently.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:20 pm

So AJ Styles looks to be NJPW bound.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rilla Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Okada and Tanahashi have been announced for NJPW vs ROH

Rilla
The Indies
The Indies

Back to top Go down

Post by The Rainmaker Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Rilla wrote:Okada and Tanahashi have been announced for NJPW vs ROH

Yeah looking forward to seeing this, I'be not really been into ROH before but it'll be interesting to see. They are giving it a lot of credence with who they are sending.
The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker
The Midcard
The Midcard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next